Monday, September 29, 2008

My life is coming together

You would think at almost 42 years of age I'd already have it all together, right? So very, very wrong. BUT, it seems like finally, at last I'm getting there or at least understanding how to get there.

I have tried for years to have some kind of routine. You know like Flylady or something. I tried to have it in my home, my weight loss struggles, with my kids and their schedules, etc, etc. Nothing has worked for very long. I never understood why. I mean I crave routine but I hadn't been able to come up with something that actually stuck...until now.

It was just recently I noticed my days evolving into one mad dash after another. It was like each day was a race and at the end of the day their was no winner. So I took a step back and wrote down everything that was working and those things that were not. I noticed if I tried to do it all in one day I wasn't accomplishing a thing. You know those days... Today I will: clean, make a gourmet meal, sort through all my papers, scrap 2 layouts, pick up my kids from school with a smile, help them with homework, grocery shop, get ready for our yard sale...oh, and while I'm at it I might as well clean and organize the linen closet. Do you know what I'm talking about here? Have you ever done something as insane as this? And then beat yourself up at the end of the day because you didn't get it all done?!!? How looney is that? The looniest, for sure!

So I noticed that every Friday I was doing ONE thing. I was taking a few hours and cleaning my home. I love to have a clean space for the weekend so I thought this sounded logical. Turns out I really got my house clean when I focused only on that! I loved it!! Then I thought well, you know Mondays are always busy business days for me. Lots of catching up to do on Scrapwords, blogging, challenges to post, etc. So I decided Okay Mondays I will focus on my business. So, now for the first time I'm figuring out several things...First off it pays to focus on one subject at a time. This is so hard for me as I'm a multi-tasker but seriously focus works out so much better! Second-I'm not just sitting down one afternoon and coming up with my life schedule. Rather I'm seeing what works, trying stuff out and when it works I go "Okay, this needs to stay.".

When I woke up this morning instead of feeling overwhelmed I thought...you know the house is still pretty clean and honestly I don't have to worry about that today...it's Monday and I need to get my computer work done.

Yeah, I still do daily housework. I mean we have mountains of laundry, dishes, etc. to do but by just picking up a bit I'm not overloading my day by saying "I'm gonna clean every bathroom in my home today along with blogging, working, vacuuming and saving the planet from pollution."

How do you make it all work? Do you struggle? Tell me what works/doesn't work for you.

0 comments: