Thursday, October 9, 2008

How did I get here?

Do you believe that a stranger can come into your life for just a brief moment in time and totally change the way you view your life?

As you probably already know (or have figured out) I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS). Yesterday my husband and I along with the Missionaries from our church invited a 22 year old college student into our home, Emily. She has been learning about our church and even attending services for the past 6 months or so. Since my DH is one of the Branch Mission leaders we get to meet a lot of people when they are investigating our church, often having them over to share our testimonies and our faith in our Heavenly Father. These people are always nice and we enjoy sharing our home with them. Yesterday was different...

The minute I opened the door to welcome our Missionaries and Emily in I sensed their was something extra special about this young woman. Vibrant, joyful and outgoing I sensed we were in for a special afternoon. I had no idea she was about to change my perspective on my life...

While we waited for my DH to get home, Emily asked if she could tour our home. I laughed and said sure so off we went. As we went from room to room we laughed and talked like old friends. She enjoyed looking at the various photos of my family on the walls and end tables. I loved sharing stories that went along with each one. As we were entering my scrap space she paused a moment, looked at me and asked

"How did you get here?"

I was a bit surprised by her question, not quite sure what she meant. "You mean the house?"

"No, I mean how did you get here. How is it you have this wonderful, glorious life with 2 kids, a loving husband, your own business, this beautiful home...how do I get here?"

I only thought for a moment and replied with a big lump in my throat...

"I got here by the faith that I have and have always had in the Lord. I got here because I married the man I'm in love with. I got here by my faith."

The past 6 months have been non-stop in the Ackman household. We've had some major downs and have been extrememly stressed out and tired. There were days I'd think "how can I possibly do it all?"

Then, this young woman whom I had just met comes along and asks the humdinger of them all...
"How did I get here?" What a defining moment in my life. What an important question to ask myself on a regular basis to remind me to look at all the blessings in my life. I have been blessed there is no doubt. I'm here, living this life of mine (flaws, chaos and all) because of the faith I have. I will forever be grateful to you Emily. Thank you.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Beautiful post, Les. Thanks for sharing. It brought gratitude and the Spirit to my heart this morning. What a great way to start the day. We are all so very blessed.

Jan said...

Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog -- I'm going to be hooked on yours, I can tell!

Loved this post -- I think it's a question we all need to ask ourselves -- and then be grateful for all we have. Thanks for putting a smile on my face today.

And I love, love, love Primary! That's something I'm grateful for every day.