Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Slow Down


Last week I decided it was time to take my time back. I had had it with running here and there...so much to do and not really getting anything done. So I took one of my favorite books out "My Self-Improvement Journal" by Janene E. Ustach. I found this little gem when I was visiting Utah 2 summers ago...love it!! Janene takes one word or phrase a week (for 52 weeks) and asks us to focus on just that one word. A few examples...Compliment, Smile and the phrase I worked on last week "slow down". She has one page where she shares a quote, a goal and several ideas for helping you slow down. The next page is totally yours. A place for you to write your feelings, progression or anything you choose. Here are a few of her suggestions for "slowing down".

"Drive slower, talk slower, think slower, walk slower, and breathe slower"
"Try not to cram so many errands into a small amount of time."
"Get up early to avoid the morning rush"

She used a scripture verse from D&C 10:4 "Do no run faster or labor more that you have strength and means..."

I can't begin to tell you how much this helped me last week. Here is an excerpt from my journal on Monday....

"I really need this this week. I'm feeling frazzled, grumpy, tired, pain in my teeth and neck and just out of sorts. Don't like this feeling."

Later in the week...

"I have been using this saying all week "slow down" when I feel myself getting overwhelmed. It's been working!!"

I was so inspired by the way my attitude turned around I've decided to add this concept to Scrapwords! Every week we will focus on a different word, phrase or quote to help us grow, feel inspired and refresh our spirits. Be sure and check out our word for this week!!

0 comments: